On the blog.....

Tuesday 16 June 2015

Hello Dolly!

Genius


The Magnificent Dolly Parton -
 Stanley Chow (around £30 unframed)

I'm really particular about the kind of art I display on my walls - not in a posh 'it's art darling' kind of way, but in the way that I like art to hold a meaning - favourite actress, singer, place, holiday memory etc. So, a couple of years ago when we renovated our kitchen, creating new empty walls that needed filling, I knew the search for prints wouldn't be straightforward.

My Hubby is a massive Man Utd fan and a few years ago he spotted prints displayed in the Men's Department of our local House of Fraser store. He described the prints as caricature of Utd players - so when he suggested we get some of these for our newly decorated space - it was a no-brainer of an answer. Abosolutely Not.

Not to be put off, he went online, managed to find the artist and much to his smug delight found his work was not all about footy heros. The guy is the great Stanley Chow, a digital illustrator whose work is also showcased around the world in various magazine editions - think Time and New Yorker, as well as producing some uber cool illustrations for big brands like Coca-Cola and Nike.

OK - so I caved in and allowed a spot on my wall
 for Sir Alex - Stanley Chow

Thankfully for me, his range of subjects is huge - name a current personality obsession and Stanley has probably got it covered......Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Steve McQueen, Bob Dillon, Marvin Gaye, Audrey Hepburn, Blondie.....the list of cool iconic superstars goes on and on.

Our Stanley Chow collection is steadily growing.....and I've turned friends into fans when I've given them his prints as gifts. The guy is a genius, loved by me even more because he's from my home town Manchester. I think Stan's fame is starting to catch up with him as his prints seem a little harder to come by at the moment - but his work is well worth checking out and if you see something you fancy, I'm pretty sure Stan and his team will oblige.

Marvin Gaye - Stanley Chow


Nailed

I think pedicures are like Marmite - love them or hate the thought! I'm a serious lover - could spend all day having my feet messed with. It's a fact - I know that makes me sound weird. Anyway, I'm loving this new 'Little Boy Blue' from Rimmel,  so much so that I've just had a second pedi with this colour. Last time it looked perfect for 3 weeks, so gives salon brands a good run for their money in my opinion. Makes a pleasant change from reds, pinks and corals and looks fab with denim. I've spotted it floating around on Ebay if anyone else feels the same about Little Boy Blue

Little Boy Blue & Little Swedish Hasbeens

Little Boy Blue - Rimmel Salon Pro


Wore

I once worked a Christmas season at my local Jo Malone concession - long story...... One of my favourites is the lesser known Nutmeg & Ginger cologne. It's such a calming, natural, soothing scent, and whenever I spray this it reminds me of relaxing days spent in a beautiful hotel spa. Lovely for hot summer days when you don't want a heavy perfume and need a lasting signature spray.

Pomegranate Noir and Nutmeg & Ginger -
£42 Jo Malone


No comments:

Post a Comment