On the blog.....

Tuesday 30 June 2015

The M&S Edit

I really considered my M&S days to be way behind me. Having once worked across the road from their huge Manchester store, I was a regular - panic buying in my lunch hour, queuing up at their returns desk the next day and generally drifting somewhere between mock tops in Per Una and wide legged polyester pants in their Classic Collection. My journey through M&S in recent years has been for one purpose - to get to Selfridges on the other side of the store, breezing past 1998 on my way.

However, I think I may have written M&S off earlier than I should have. Since joining Insta and reading online blogs, I've often raised an eyebrow in surprise when a blogger has showcased a particular cropped denim, a certain brown suede skirt (I could kick myself - I owned a replica of this from Coast in 2002 which ended up at the charity shop in 2006) or a beautiful classic silk blue shirt.

Let's face it - there are a handful of brilliant bloggers out there - and if they wear it, we want it (obviously forgetting they would look awesome dressed in a bin bag). I do believe this is why M&S seem to be enjoying a little revival.

So, I've decided to get in on the M&S action. How hard can it be to cherry pick some designs that will raise an eyebrow on Insta....?

Pleats

I love the look of chiffon pleats - there seem to be lots around this season. I'm thinking floaty, classic, Chanel chic and uber cool with a pair of Stan Smith by day or pointy stiletto's by night. It's down to two:


Pleated Knee Lenth A-Line Skirt
£35 M&S

Also available in Nude
(Forget the shoes - I think they kill it!)

Kimono

I'm usually very late to a trend party, but think if I get in quick, I might just make the Kimono party whilst it's still in full swing. Some kimono's are off the scale with fussy detail - flowers, sequins, fringe - who the heck can pull all that off? That's why I love this design - simple, good colours and a nice length - bad news for me is that it's plus size only. However, if this works for you, I'd bag one quick!


Plus Paisley Print Kimono Top
M&S - A bargain at £22.50

Patch

I've seen a few 'patch' denim jeans from various high end brands - so wonder if these cut the mustard?


Lulu Kennedy for Indigo Patch
Boyfriend Jeans - M&S £45


Pretty

Insta is awash with pretty blouses right now so it's only right to feature one in my M&S edit. I love the detail of this pretty applique top, and it gets the thumbs up for being soft white rather than stark white.


Pretty Applique Top
M&S - £35

Poppy

I love the jumpsuit trend - I think this is a good cross between a full on jumpsuit and on-trend culottes. Simple and elegant. If this was in black it would work well for a night out and I'd grab one now, but not sure about this poppy red?

Petite Culotte Jumpsuit
M&S - £49.50


Not a bad haul eh? I've tested Hubby out on the chiffon skirt. 'Frumpy' was his come back. Not a good start to my M&S return.....

Do you successfully shop at M&S? Have you got the knack of finding a future must-have? Surely I'm not alone in walking the wobbly line between retro M&S chic and just plain old frumpy? I'd love to hear your thoughts on our great British institution.....

No comments:

Post a Comment